Tuesday, November 04, 2014

How Many times Has a View Been Called?

Today's Revit Question: The user has created a typical section cut and then used the "Reference Other View" check box to call it several times through out the project. Now the user wonders how many times they referenced the view and where.

Somehow I thought this would be easy. I started with a View List schedule, but could not access what I needed there. The properties of the view only listed a single Referencing Sheet.
What I found is that Revit list on only list the first sheet alpha-numerically if the view has been called from multiple sheets.

To track down all of the instances, I was able to Hide the call out on the first sheet to reveal the next sheet in the list.
To track down all of the instances, I was able to Hide the call out on the first sheet to reveal the next sheet in the list. Being careful that there may be multiple call outs on a single sheet, I was able to track down all of the references.

Not ideal at all, but it worked. If someone knows of a better way, please post a comment. I think we would all love to know it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why don't you use find referring views? In the view you can right click in space (or right click on the view in the project browser) and on the menu pick Find Referring Views... and it lists all of the views that detail/Wall Section/Drafting View is called out in and will even take you to them. It isn't perfect because if the section/callout is hidden then it doesn't show up on the list, but it seems to accomplish what you are proposing.

Todd M Shackelford said...

Thanks Stephanie! I sure feel dumb because I was operating under the assumption that Find Referring Views didn't work on sections. I even tried it and didn't find it in the right click menu, but sure enough when I went back, there it was the whole time. In the end, it's a good day when I learn something, even if that something is slow down and read the right click menu!